June 20, 2019
This is a bit of personal episode but it touches on finding your true audience by expressing your authentic self.
Once you find those true fans, and you're honest and open with them and serve them up the entertainment they love, I think you've got them for life.
We recently went through a major transition in Aeon 14, and me with my writing partner. I was ready for fans to revolt but they've supported us in amazing ways. I can't express how much gratitude I've felt in the last month, and how inspired I've been to create meaningful, honest work.
Also, sorry for the break!
May 11, 2019
I've been working on Eve of Destruction (kickass cover, right?) for six months now, which is like GRRM time in indie publishing. In the midst of grinding through edits, I've been working on several other hobby projects as well. While Steven Pressfield might call this resistance, it got me thinking about the benefits of allowing your mind to wander, absorb and learn from your hobbies, and how you can fold those skills into your writing. I'm a DIY nerd, so my hobbies are building things, but the points I talk about could easily apply to team sports, travel or any other hobby.
Create If Writing with Kirsten Oliphant
Self Publishing Journeys by Paul Teague
Deep Work by Cal Newport
The Awkward Thoughts of Kamau Bell
On Intelligence by Jeff Hawkins and Sandra Blakeslee
AuthorLife by J Thorn
Thanks for listening!
April 8, 2019
In this episode, Josh Hayes jumps in for the first Speculative Work Interview. This wide-ranging conversation covers Josh's transition from a career in law enforcement to writing full-time, his philosophy about building teams like Keystroke Medium, and what he hopes to accomplish in this next exciting phase of his author career.
Bio: Josh Hayes is the author of three novels: Terra Nova, Bloodlines and Wings of Redemption, co-written with Richard Fox, with publication in many anthologies, including Chris Kennedy's Four Horsemen Universe. Josh served six years in the Air Force before leaving for a second career in law enforcement. He recently left service as a police officer to write full time, and since then, his publishing company slash podcast slash community Keystroke Medium has gone into high gear, producing a massive amount of content from podcasts and events to anthologies. On top of all that, he's a husband and the father of four young children.
For more information on Josh and his writing, please visit his webpage: www.joshhayeswriter.com
Josh is also the co-host of Keystroke Medium, with Scott Moon, Ralph Kern and Chuck Manley For the best author interviews, news and craft discussion, visit www.keystrokemedium.com. Their live shows broadcast every Monday night at 8pm CST at www.youtube.com/c/keystrokemedium
March 26, 2019
Today I share the current list of podcasts I'm listening to and why they're worth your time.
Mentioned in today's episode:
- American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America by Colin Woodard
- Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan
- Calypso by David Sedaris
- Jeremy Fielding on YouTube
- Aeon 14 Podcast - Michael Cooper, me, Jen McDonnel, Lisa Richman, Amy Duboff, Andrew Dobell, Jenny Green
- Sentence to Paragraph with Darryll Lynne Evans and Molly Martin
- Joanna Penn's Creative Penn Podcast
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Marketing Podcast - Lindsey Buroker, Joe Lallo, Jeff Poole
- Keystroke Medium: Scott Moon, Josh Hayes, Ralph Kern, Jon Evans, Devon Ford, Guy DeMarco, Chuck Manley
- Writer's Journey with Lauren Moore and Kalene Williams
- Sci-Fi Shenanigans
- How do you Write with Rachel Herron
- Create If Writing with Kristen Oliphant
- Sell More Books Show with Bryan Cohen and Jim Kukral
- The Career Author Podcast with J. Thorn and Zach Bohannon
- Writer's Well with J Thorn and Rachel Herron
- Coode Street Podcast with Gary Wolfe and Jonathan Strahan
- Ground Up Show with Matt D'Avela
- Darknet Diaries with Jack Rhysider
- Akimbo with Seth Godin
- Rationally Writing - Alexander Wales and Daystar Eld
- Stark Reflections with Mark Lefebvre
- Mark Dawson's Self Publishing Show with James Blatch
- Awkward Author with Alyssa Grosso
- Self Publishing Journeys with Paul Teague
- Clarkesworld Audio
- Lightspeed Audio
Thanks for listening!
December 31, 2018
Everybody loves a goals show! Let's throw down the gauntlet for 2019 so I can look back and either be pleased with my progress or shed tears in my beer.
I talk about production, health and financial goals for 2019, as well establishing a strong author brand.
Mentioned in this podcast:
Atomic Habits by James Clear
Word Count Tracker (excel doc download)
Thanks for listening!